Thursday, March 27, 2014

It's a Success

So this crazy girl talked me into doing the hardest thing I've ever done: complete 13.1 miles. Our goal: cross that finish line together even if we have to drag the other over it.

 

I can't say that I stuck to my training plan or even half of the training plan, but I crossed that finish line with my best friend by my side. It was the Disney Princess Half Marathon and it was the most exciting race I have completed so far. The atmosphere is electric and tutus are everywhere.


At mile 6... See we are still smiling.
At the starting line, I couldn't get my music to work (note to self for the next one: make your playlist BEFORE being surrounded by a bazillion people on the phone network). Panic set in. I've never run without music. My fingers frantically click at the screen, trying every app and music storage I have downloaded, and nothing worked. My best friend took one look at my wide-eyes and slightly-sweaty-from-the-panic-and-humidity brow and yanked her headphones out. She talked me through the first half of the race, keeping my mind off of my struggling muscles. 

At mile nine, I felt like I was dying. And again at 10. By the time 12 came around,
I was next to hysterical, running on fumes and cheerleading not only BF's feet but mine to keep moving as well. All I can think that if I stop moving and I'm not going to finish.
"Oh my God, I see the finish" faces 
 
In the end, we crossed the finish line and my best friend of 15 years gave me my medal. A sense of invincibility hits you, followed quickly by utter exhaustion, which we quickly countered with a trip to Universal. 

Moral of this story: try because you may surprise yourself. I'm applying this mentality to my writing now as well. I keep stopping because I am afraid of not succeeding, but I can at least try.



Side note: We also got to see these crazy kids cross the finish at the Disney Princess 10K... One of whom it was her first race ever. She also just signed up for the Peachtree Road Race 10K. Looks like we have a runner. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment